Separ Fuel Filter / Water Separators
Separ Fuel Filter /
Separ Fuel Water Separators Specifications
Water Separation and Particulate Filtration
The SEPAR SWK-2000 Series is a fuel / water separator and fuel filter that is designed for use with newer and more demanding diesel engines. It incorporates multiple centrifugal components that provides a 100% solution to the problems of water and dirt.
Water and solid contaminants displace the fuel’s lubricative coating on the high precision injection components. The loss of this protection results in wear, erosion, surface pitting and eventual pressure loss.
Many existing fuel filters aren’t designed to remove significant amounts of water. They are designed to do their job in a single step. The Separ 2000 offers a compact design, high efficiency, low flow restriction, a long life filter element, easy installation, and simple maintenance.
- Available with various flow rates from 1 to 34 GPM (68 GPM in Duplex) (129 LPM (260 LPM in Duplex)). Thereby offering fuel filters for an engine performance range of 5 to 10,000 kw.
- Compact size, various ports, simple installation.
- Manufactured from high quality non-corroding aluminum alloy casting, heavy polycarbonate or metal bowls and stainless steel hardware.
- High separation efficiency of water which is contained in the fuel.
- Low Restriction
- Extended service time of the filter elements.
- Protects the injection pump and injection nozzles.
- Simple installation
- Long life filter elements (Stainless Steel washable elements available)
- Easy maintenance.
- Automotive industry – trucks, buses, mobile cranes, municipality vehicles, etc.
- Construction equipment, compressor sets, agricultural equipment, fork lifts, etc.
- Stationary engines – generators, welding and pumping installations, etc.
- Mining applications
- Marine Propulsion (including switchable filters. A water level indication can be supplied optionally)
- U.S. Navy and U.S. Coast Guard
- Custom versions available
- American Bureau of Shipping Certificate
- Bureau Veritas Type Approval Certificate
- Lloyd Type Approval Certificate
- Rheinisch-Westfälischer TÜV
- Kraftfahrt-Bundesamt Flensburg
- German Technical Department of Arm Ship and Marine Weapons
- Germanischer Lloyd Type Approval Certificate
Features of the SEPAR 2000:
- Small physical size in comparison to flow rate.
- High performance.
- Low restriction (delta P)
- Long-life filter element.
- Easy installation.
- Simple in operation.
How the SEPAR 2000 Operates:
Fuel is sucked into the filter by the action of the lift pump via either port A or B. Plug off the port that is not being used. The filter is designed for the suction side of the engine.
Fuel enters through port A or B where it will then enter the centrifuge, separating larger particles of dirt and droplets of water down to 30 microns. The centrifuge does not spin. The first vane system spins the diesel fuel in a circular motion as it passes through the channels of the centrifuge.
As the fuel comes out of the centrifuge it will then hit the side of the bowl and the fuel continues to spin allowing the heavier particulates and water to separate from the fuel and settle to the bottom of the bowl.
The fuel flows through the second vane centrifuge stage forcing the fuel to spin in a different direction and passes on the outside of the centrifuge. At this point the small droplets of water and dirt particles are thrown to the center of the bowl, moving around and forming larger droplets of water. There the larger vane will catch the particles and bring them down through the vane. This is produced by the vacuum on the lowest part of the second vane.
With the continuous circular motion of the fuel, the dirt and water droplets continue to grow together; becoming heavier and falling back into the bowl again.
Specially treated water resistant paper element will filter out all remaining finer dirt and water. The element slows down fuel to allow more contaminants to settle into the bowl.
Clear Bowl Standard
D = Heat Shield
M=Metal Bowl (U.S.C.G. and RINA Approved)
G = Vacuum Gauge
K = Clear Bowl with contacts for water level indication
KD= Clear bowl, w/metal heat deflector and contacts
MK = Metal bowl with contacts
U = Switchable Duplex Unit
- 30652-S – Vacuum Gauge for Separ Filters, Stainless Steel, Liquid Filled
- 30652-AXI Liquid Filled Vacuum Gauge
Footnote 1: The Separ 2000/5/50 is 1.38 inch taller than the 2000/5 in the body to accommodate a slightly taller filer element. Flow rate and most other characteristics of the two models are otherwise the same.
Footnote 2: Separ filters with other Option Combinations are available but must be special ordered. Please contact us for price and availability.
Footnote 3: The “G” option of a vacuum gauge to determine when filters need back-flushed or replaced may be added to any configuration. Adding to any single filter purchase adds one gauge (part #30652), and adding the “G” option to any duplex filter purchase adds two gauges (part #30652), one to each filter. See shopping cart for price. Thread tap in lid is included in price with purchase of filter with “G” option (not purchase of gauge alone).
Backflushing is required when dirt and water block the filter element. The following signs will indicate this procedure is necessary:
- Loss of engine power
- Black smoke may exhaust from the engine
- Vacuum gauge will indicate a high restriction reading on the element of the filter.
- Stop the engine or switch over to the spare filter on the switchable units
- Open the bleed screw
- This introduces atmospheric pressure into the filter
- The dirt particles and larger droplets of water will release from the bottom of the filter element
- Gravity will assist the dirt particles as they slowly fall to the bottom of the bowl
- Open the drain valve (PUSH IN AND TURN)
- The clean fuel above the filter will backflush through the filter element. This will release the smaller dirt and water particles.
- Drain the fuel until the dirt and water are removed from the filter and the bowl. Close the drain valve.
- Close the bleed screw (DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN)
- You may now start your engine or switch back to the clean filter. If the engine still lacks power, try backflushing the filter again. If restriction is still too high, change the filter element.
Replacement Filters for the Separ 2000 Series of Fuel / Water Separators: